Friday, February 12, 2010

Lord, Empty Me

(Lyrics by Chris Sligh in his song 'Empty Me')

Empty me
Of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition
And the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me
So i can be
Filled with you

I’ve seen just enough of the quick buys
Of the best lies
To know how prodigals can be drawn away

I know how I can stray
And how fast my heart could change


I really think that this song has become my prayer that I pray for daily.

I know what happens when I’m not filled with Jesus… I’m a complete mess and I don’t know what to do or how to do anything… I also know how amazing it truly is to be filled with Jesus. Nothing in this world can ever top that feeling! I can’t describe it… you just have to experience it for yourself.

I think it was yesterday, 2/11/10 , that I realized I wasn’t really willing to surrender two areas of my life… I wanted control over them. And guess where that has got me? No where… It was so stupid of me to do that. And yet it was in vain too. It was totally for me. Not for Jesus. I thought it was for Him, but I was wrong.

I wanted control over the Campus Ministry that I haven’t heard anything back yet from the activities director. I wasn’t really praying about it either. And I wanted control over I guess “changing” someone’s life and have them trust in Christ… but it doesn’t work that way. Only Jesus has the power to fully transform someone’s life from a living hell to feeling like they, with Jesus, can face what they are going through.

I’ve realized that wanting control over things in your life, doesn’t turn out so well as compared to when we surrender those areas to Christ alone. I know surrender doesn’t come easy to anyone. Especially when it comes to fully surrendering everything to God and trusting in Him that He knows what He’s doing.

Take a look at Jeremiah 29:11 with me;

For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

It’s just that simple; He knows full well what He is doing. Why can’t we just trust Him in that area and not try to take over and end up doing a crash and burn?

Like I said earlier, surrender is hard for everyone. But it’s totally worth it.

Dear Lord,

Empty me
Of the selfishness inside
Every vain ambition
And the poison of my pride
And any foolish thing my heart holds to
Lord empty me of me
So i can be
Filled with you

In Jesus Name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment